The Linux Thread - The Autist's OS of Choice

He Who Points And Laughs

Flavortown Refugee
kiwifarms.net
Bizarre. I can hit my router, but nothing external but it works fine on Windows and none of my logs are helping. Ree.

I really just need to buy a new wifi card. PCI next time, none of this USB horse shit!
I use a couple USB wifi devices for my Kali laptop. They work better than the built in iwlwifi. I've just noticed over the years that most "hacking tools" work rather effortlessly in Kali, whereas with Arch/Blackarch & Gentoo/Pentoo I tend to have issues every so often.

These are the USB cards I use :
Panda Wireless PAU09 N600 Dual Band (2.4GHz and 5GHz) Wireless N USB Adapter
ALFA AWUS036NEH Long Range WIRELESS 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi USBAdapter

The ALFA I also use on my phone when I need promiscuous mode.

For PCIe on desktop, I use a Qualcomm Atheros AR93xx Wireless Network Adapter, it's red and has 3 antennae. I think it's ASUS but I can't recall.

My amdgpu driver crashed and now Fedora is telling me I have a "tainted" kernel ;_;
I use nvidia on most of my computers, so they all have tainted kernels.

Paddy O' Furniture

Cuck Shed Cleaner
kiwifarms.net
I use a couple USB wifi devices for my Kali laptop. They work better than the built in iwlwifi. I've just noticed over the years that most "hacking tools" work rather effortlessly in Kali, whereas with Arch/Blackarch & Gentoo/Pentoo I tend to have issues every so often.

These are the USB cards I use :
Panda Wireless PAU09 N600 Dual Band (2.4GHz and 5GHz) Wireless N USB Adapter
ALFA AWUS036NEH Long Range WIRELESS 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi USBAdapter

The ALFA I also use on my phone when I need promiscuous mode.

For PCIe on desktop, I use a Qualcomm Atheros AR93xx Wireless Network Adapter, it's red and has 3 antennae. I think it's ASUS but I can't recall.
Thanks for the links! I've got some wishlisting to do!

Citation Checking Project

I will not stop until I look awesome
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Anybody remember when Compiz Fusion et al. where the shit? I know I had hours of fun toying with the settings. GPU-accelerated effects were new and exciting and you could spice up your daily routine with all sorts of pointless animations. Nowadays I'm content with the stock Gnome Shell that composes and does Exposé, miniatures, workspaces, and nice transitions, but I still fondly remember the early days.

teriyakiburns

Nothing like waiting till the last minute, huh?
kiwifarms.net
Anybody remember when Compiz Fusion et al. where the shit? I know I had hours of fun toying with the settings. GPU-accelerated effects were new and exciting and you could spice up your daily routine with all sorts of pointless animations. Nowadays I'm content with the stock Gnome Shell that composes and does Exposé, miniatures, workspaces, and nice transitions, but I still fondly remember the early days.

I spent days playing with that on KDE/Gentoo (with ksplice for the uptime), like some sort of masochistic ricer.

Yotsubaaa

Yeahhh 2020!!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

I loved that desktop cube! I remember using it to wow my friends back in undergrad.

I also distinctly remember getting absolutely no work done while I was using it. Compiz was great for studying in the hall and people could look over my shoulder and notice the spinning cube on my laptop and perhaps muse to themselves about how cool I surely was. But the moment I had actual work to do the compositing effects were turned off, and eventually I turned them off for a final time and never used it again.

Thanks for the nostalgia though! :heart-full:

Stock Image Photographer

Commander of the Canadian Nazi KKK League
kiwifarms.net
Somewhat related to the distro discussion, has anyone here used a Linux distro that uses musl as opposed to glibc? I've been wanting to use a musl-based distro for a little while since I don't like how some software relies on glibc-specific quirks, but a lot of closed-source Linux software doesn't work without glibc.

• Agree
Reactions: The Fool

Stock Image Photographer

Commander of the Canadian Nazi KKK League
kiwifarms.net
Sure, Alpine is one example. Gentoo has support for musl as well, and Void has a split-distro thing going on where you can either run a glibc or musl version of the distro. I currently run glibc Void, but I'm interested in seeing if anyone had some experience with musl in general on a daily driver machine.

He Who Points And Laughs

Flavortown Refugee
kiwifarms.net
Somewhat related to the distro discussion, has anyone here used a Linux distro that uses musl as opposed to glibc? I've been wanting to use a musl-based distro for a little while since I don't like how some software relies on glibc-specific quirks, but a lot of closed-source Linux software doesn't work without glibc.
I've been using source based distros before Gentoo was released, yet I've never varied off of GlibC.

Tags
None