Star Trek -

Flexo

Drunk posting normal. Beware sober posting.
kiwifarms.net
TMP does the spaceship gravure well

yeah five has its well-known problems, but it gives us important stuff from TOS that hadn't been in the movies yet so much, like rock-climbing, kicking gods in the dick, and giving speeches about how great it is to be a flawed human
Obligatory.

V was always called the worst one (at least from the original cast films) and I can see why, but it does have its moments and I think it COULD have worked if it was in more capable hands.
5 is really the good-bad movie of the franchise. If you like cheese, it serves it up well. (Spock nerve pinches a horse!)

But as they say, when the novelization is more beloved because it fixes so many plot holes...

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Obligatory.

5 is really the good-bad movie of the franchise. If you like cheese, it serves it up well. (Spock nerve pinches a horse!)

But as they say, when the novelization is more beloved because it fixes so many plot holes...
iirc the comic was based on it back when there were still rock monsters, too

• Agree
Reactions: Flexo

Jasonfan89

Ki ki ki ma ma ma
kiwifarms.net
So for some reason Hulu has all 6 of the original cast movies but for some reason after 6 it jumps strait to insurrection the only next generation movie on there. Also I love how they have every series from the original to enterprise the last show on TV until discovery and they don't have that or Picard...and nothing of value was lost.

yahooligan

Futuristic sex robot
kiwifarms.net
So for some reason Hulu has all 6 of the original cast movies but for some reason after 6 it jumps strait to insurrection the only next generation movie on there. Also I love how they have every series from the original to enterprise the last show on TV until discovery and they don't have that or Picard...and nothing of value was lost.
That's the only Next Generation movie, it's working as intended.

Jasonfan89

Ki ki ki ma ma ma
kiwifarms.net
That's the only Next Generation movie, it's working as intended.
Well as I've said I'm not a full on or even partial Trekkie so aside the bs I've heard about discovery and Picard I really don't have the bias against the older stuff... Hell I was morbidly curious about watching JJ's trilogy or at least the first two since they're one of the last pieces of start track media to be made before Hollywood went full on with the woke machine and became the left's own personal ministry of truth.

(hard to say with beyond.. It came out IN 2016 on the dot but would have been in production at least a year before. Really everything made specifically that year is a crapshoot)

yahooligan

Futuristic sex robot
kiwifarms.net
Well as I've said I'm not a full on or even partial Trekkie so aside the bs I've heard about discovery and Picard I really don't have the bias against the older stuff... Hell I was morbidly curious about watching JJ's trilogy or at least the first two since they're one of the last pieces of start track media to be made before Hollywood went full on with the woke machine and became the left's own personal ministry of truth.

(hard to say with beyond.. It came out IN 2016 on the dot but would have been in production at least a year before. Really everything made specifically that year is a crapshoot)
Nah I kid, honestly all the old stuff is worth watching at least once, none of it is that horrible.

I haven't even attempted to watch Picard, based on what I've read here. "Never meet your heroes," I guess even applies at a distance.

Twitter Hate Mob

Actual size
kiwifarms.net
Nah I kid, honestly all the old stuff is worth watching at least once, none of it is that horrible.
Nemesis and Insurrection beg to differ. Picard riding a dune buggy, fuck yeah! Kill off Data for cheap "emotions" but have a ready made replacement in the crew so that you can keep spinning off more shit movies if this one doesn't fail! Completely derail Tom Hardy's career and have him admit to contemplating suicide over it!

No, fuck those films.

• Feels
Reactions: Flexo

XYZpdq

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I suppose the TNG movies after First Contact are worth a glance as a cautionary tale, but yeah I can't recall them really even bringing anything to the table for visuals.

• Agree
Reactions: yahooligan

TaimuRadiu

Kaiserin
kiwifarms.net
Star Trek: The (Slow) Motion Picture was a shitty knockoff of "2001: A Space Odyssey" And I don't even particularly like 2001 to begin with. Also, this guy, a major character in the film:
View attachment 1309042\
is a Joe Biden. That's my euphemism for 'child molester' these days, you know... Because Joe Biden is an obvious child molester, and yet still has at least *some* chance at being our next president...
TMP was a very 70s thing.

iirc the only version of 6 that was on VHS was the extended cut?
TMP had a Special Edition around dvd, I don't think I've seen it in HD but I honestly don't remember what was different other than Vulcan getting some extra crap, and I've never bothered to sit down and watch TMP from start to finish in HD, I just catch a chunk here and there on cytube.
The director's cut of TMP actually cuts it down. The film wasn't actually edited well in time for the premiere; supposedly the negatives were still wet.

I've mentioned this before in the RLM thread but Star Trek The Motion Picture WAS a TV episode stretched to fit a film. It was originally written to be the pilot for a new Star Trek series Gene wanted to make called Star Trek: Phase II and was originally titled "In Thy Image"
2 episodes of Phase II were eventually adapted into season 2 TNG episodes: the premiere, when Troi gets raped, and "Devil's Due," which is an OK episode.

V was always called the worst one (at least from the original cast films) and I can see why, but it does have its moments and I think it COULD have worked if it was in more capable hands.
Shatner wrote some memoirs about making the film. He did the best he could with what he had, and the studio wouldn't give him that much. The Plinkett commentary is worth the $1 I paid for it.

yahooligan

Futuristic sex robot
kiwifarms.net
My thanks to all those who said Enterprise Season 4 was worth sticking around for. It arrived last weekend and so far I've watched the Soong / Augments arc and am now part way through the Vulcan bombing rebellion thing arc. All been top-notch so far.
Season 4 was neat and, for me, kind of different from any other season of any other trek, with all the little arcs. I like to imagine they were condensed versions of what seasons 5+ could have been. (Then I remember Babylon 5 was probably the only thing written that far in advance. But a fella can daydream.)

ditto

kiwifarms.net
Then I remember Babylon 5 was probably the only thing written that far in advance.
Babylon 5 had to condense five seasons into four when it looked like they were getting cancelled. But season 5 was approved and the arc had already been completed, so it meandered around for half a season before finding it's feet again.

Was going to continue onto TNG after finishing my TOS rewatch, but might skip that and go to Enterprise instead. The whole Picard drama has soured me on watching Patrick Stewart for now.

Jasonfan89

Ki ki ki ma ma ma
kiwifarms.net
It's probably been said before but I have to ask why the flying hell did Shatner Write in both a three tited catgirl dancer and nichelle nichols doing a half naked fan dance? She actually was 57 at the time no joke. Now I get that it was a homage to uhuras fan dance in the original series but yeah...no just no.

As for the catgirl idk for sure but it could be one of the series few references to M'ress and the catian race first since in the 70s animated series. Which have never been properly integrated into star trek cannon at least not entirely.

yahooligan

Futuristic sex robot
kiwifarms.net
Babylon 5 had to condense five seasons into four when it looked like they were getting cancelled. But season 5 was approved and the arc had already been completed, so it meandered around for half a season before finding it's feet again.
Yeah the season 5 thing was a bit of a shame, but understandable. The TV movie/spin-off stuff was a little bit less palatable for me. But the 4-ish great seasons ended up being a lot less cheesy and a lot better-written than I was expecting (and next to no technobabble, whew)

Zemporer

kiwifarms.net
It's probably been said before but I have to ask why the flying hell did Shatner Write in both a three tited catgirl dancer and nichelle nichols doing a half naked fan dance? She actually was 57 at the time no joke. Now I get that it was a homage to uhuras fan dance in the original series but yeah...no just no.

As for the catgirl idk for sure but it could be one of the series few references to M'ress and the catian race first since in the 70s animated series. Which have never been properly integrated into star trek cannon at least not entirely.
I still remember my "What the Hell?" reaction in the theater when seeing the fan dance in 5. I remember me and my friends just started laughing at that point. To me, 5 always had a cheap feel to it. The FX seemed cut rate in parts (and going by memory, I'm thinking some might have been reused from other ST films, but not sure).

I also laugh at David Warner's sleazy ambassador. He was much better used in The Undiscovered Country.

PreferredPenne

Easy to eat
kiwifarms.net
I still remember my "What the Hell?" reaction in the theater when seeing the fan dance in 5. I remember me and my friends just started laughing at that point. To me, 5 always had a cheap feel to it. The FX seemed cut rate in parts (and going by memory, I'm thinking some might have been reused from other ST films, but not sure).

I also laugh at David Warner's sleazy ambassador. He was much better used in The Undiscovered Country.
Not to mention the Romulan ambassador who was definitely fucking someone behind the scenes because she sure as shit couldn't act.

Zemporer

kiwifarms.net
Not to mention the Romulan ambassador who was definitely fucking someone behind the scenes because she sure as shit couldn't act.
I'm not sure if it exists, but I'd love a no holds barred write up about 5's production. It's a weird film in the series for a few reasons. I know Shatner wrote about it in one of his memoirs, but I'm not sure if he held his punches to be "polite."

As for the story, I thought it would have been cool to tie the galactic barrier seen in the TOS episode "Where No Man Has Gone Before" with the being trapped in the galactic core. Maybe have Spock theorize that the Milky Way was a galactic prison created by "someone." Nerdy as hell, but an interesting thought.

XYZpdq

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
As for the story, I thought it would have been cool to tie the galactic barrier seen in the TOS episode "Where No Man Has Gone Before" with the being trapped in the galactic core
iirc I heard that the 90s novels (maybe the Peter David ones?) have a thing about the space gods like Shakaree and the beings from that TOS being a rival race to the Q?

TaimuRadiu

Kaiserin
kiwifarms.net
My thanks to all those who said Enterprise Season 4 was worth sticking around for. It arrived last weekend and so far I've watched the Soong / Augments arc and am now part way through the Vulcan bombing rebellion thing arc. All been top-notch so far.
I thought season 4 was the worst. I liked season 2 the best.

Yeah the season 5 thing was a bit of a shame, but understandable. The TV movie/spin-off stuff was a little bit less palatable for me. But the 4-ish great seasons ended up being a lot less cheesy and a lot better-written than I was expecting (and next to no technobabble, whew)
Aside from the Byron arc Season 5 wasn't that bad. I've never seen Crusade or most of the TV movies tho.

Reactions: ditto
Tags
None