My project to use 24/7 outdoor music broadcast to repel urban hoodlums - don't let your memes stay dreams

Wake me up

CωC Club founder
kiwifarms.net
I have to figure out how best to rebuild a 229-ton cooling tower which has rusted to the point of collapse.
Thread when? :lit: Seriously though, enjoy your time off. Before too long you may find yourself having to post here about a new challenger or situation showing up - and if I've gotten to know you a little bit, I don't think you'd be one to shy away from it either...

If nothing shows up, at least you can take pride in having done a good job and also entertaining the fine folk around here! Semper fi, millais.

millais

The Yellow Rose of Victoria, Texas
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Another post-mortem update. Of the four running speaker units I have left after consolidation, only about 2.5 of them are still up and running at 100% effectiveness.

One set of speakers has been almost completely worn out, I think may have been due to a power surge, or just 10 months of ceaselessly pumping out Mozart. I tried fiddling with the set up to get the volume back to an audible level, but short of taking it down and disassembling the speakers to look for the source of the problem, I will have to replace it with the cheap USB speaker set I was holding in reserve.

The expensive Bluetooth speaker got completely soaked in a very powerful rainstorm, and it messed up the sound quality for a few days, but after drying out it seems to be back to normal.

Another set of speakers that I had "doubled up" during the consolidation period has also partially worn out. I thought it might have been a bad electrical contact, but I tried adjusting it many ways and can't get it back to the original output volume. Of the four speakers that now comprise the unit, one is dead for sure, and I think another one may be having problems. One of the two subwoofers may also have reduced output.

Because of the reduced volume output, I had to pull a lot of tracks from the playlist of that unit because they were too quiet. I think I removed something like 120 songs, most of them being Connie Francis's German covers of her own 1950s-1960s pop music. Since I was having to modify the playlist anyway, I added in a bunch of high quality recordings of Rhodesian music and what is possibly the edgiest, most offensive song in any of the playlist's thus far:
The infamous "Mandela is a nigger" song, which is littered from end to end with with f-bombs and has been banned in South Africa for being offensive to nogs. That is one song that I can get away with easily, since the people around the area don't have a good ear for Afrikaans; one American man mistook all the Afrikaans music for Korean language...

Ginger Piglet

Fictional Manhunt Survivor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Another post-mortem update. Of the four running speaker units I have left after consolidation, only about 2.5 of them are still up and running at 100% effectiveness.

One set of speakers has been almost completely worn out, I think may have been due to a power surge, or just 10 months of ceaselessly pumping out Mozart. I tried fiddling with the set up to get the volume back to an audible level, but short of taking it down and disassembling the speakers to look for the source of the problem, I will have to replace it with the cheap USB speaker set I was holding in reserve.

The expensive Bluetooth speaker got completely soaked in a very powerful rainstorm, and it messed up the sound quality for a few days, but after drying out it seems to be back to normal.

Another set of speakers that I had "doubled up" during the consolidation period has also partially worn out. I thought it might have been a bad electrical contact, but I tried adjusting it many ways and can't get it back to the original output volume. Of the four speakers that now comprise the unit, one is dead for sure, and I think another one may be having problems. One of the two subwoofers may also have reduced output.

Because of the reduced volume output, I had to pull a lot of tracks from the playlist of that unit because they were too quiet. I think I removed something like 120 songs, most of them being Connie Francis's German covers of her own 1950s-1960s pop music. Since I was having to modify the playlist anyway, I added in a bunch of high quality recordings of Rhodesian music and what is possibly the edgiest, most offensive song in any of the playlist's thus far:
The infamous "Mandela is a nigger" song, which is littered from end to end with with f-bombs and has been banned in South Africa for being offensive to nogs. That is one song that I can get away with easily, since the people around the area don't have a good ear for Afrikaans; one American man mistook all the Afrikaans music for Korean language...
Wasn't "kaffir" considered too offensive even for the apartheid era?

millais

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Wasn't "kaffir" considered too offensive even for the apartheid era?
Yes, even under the Afrikaner government, people could be taken to court and criminally punished for using that slur in the public sphere. People were allowed to exercise freedom of expression in nearly all respects, but the one exception was their law against speech which was judged to incite racially motivated unrest and violence.

millais

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I managed to fix the seemingly burned out broadcast unit that was looping Mozart, so I'm back to running about 3.5 effective units. The volume control on the MP3 player was actually the component at fault in the malfunctioning unit. The speakers themselves actually seem to be blasting away louder than before to my surprise. I think at least part of it must be the improved acoustic environment (lots of nearby sound-reflecting surfaces), but I feel like the speakers' treble capacity might be above average too, so I've already tossed out the Mozart and am now thinking of loading it up with hours of France Gall, in addition to the reliable set of "standard" tracks that I've found to be good at overpowering ambient noise and conversation.

If it's good enough at the treble, I might even load it up with the all the Connie Francis German-language covers that were a terrible disappointment on the speakers with weaker treble.

Ginger Piglet

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
hours of France Gall
Ouch. That's gotta hurt. "Je suis une poupée de cire, une poupée de son" over and over and over.

Make sure you get "Les sucettes" in there as well. That was an ebin piece of IRL trolling from Serge Gainsbourg, who knew that France Gall was too young and naive to know that sometimes a lollipop wasn't actually a lollipop.

Also, any chance of a photo of this setup, assuming you can do so without identifying your location that easily?

• Islamic Content
Reactions: Safir

???

International man (?) of mystery
kiwifarms.net
Have you considered Scottish music featuring bagpipes? It gets very loud and the drone of the bagpipes will frighten both quadripedal and bipedal fauna.

Sea shanties may be another win.

millais

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Ouch. That's gotta hurt. "Je suis une poupée de cire, une poupée de son" over and over and over.

Make sure you get "Les sucettes" in there as well. That was an ebin piece of IRL trolling from Serge Gainsbourg, who knew that France Gall was too young and naive to know that sometimes a lollipop wasn't actually a lollipop.

Also, any chance of a photo of this setup, assuming you can do so without identifying your location that easily?
Initially, I liked France Gall for the outdoor music broadcast because she sings everything slightly out of tune and this effect apparently annoys the modern ear. I'm told that it was considered cute and endearing for those teenage pop singers back then to sing out of tune; something about the youthful naivete, which sounds a bit too close to pedo logic imo.

I already have a couple of France Gall songs on most of the broadcast unit playlists. "Poupee de cire", "Les Sucettes", "Sacre Charlemagne", "Nefertiti", "Ein Bisschen Goethe, Ein Bisschen Bonaparte", "Made in France", "L'Amerique", "Laisse tomber les filles".

Recently I discovered this France Gall compilation, which I'm thinking to add: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCoWWVF1OXM
Just from a time and convenience perspective, it's way easier to grab these kind of 30-45 minute long compilations off Youtube instead of trying to round up a bunch of 1-2 minute tracks.

I guess now that the setup is pretty much solidified without any planned modifications (unless something burns out, in which case I have 1-2 backup speakers ready to swap out), I can share some photos. The weather will be good so I can maybe get some later this week.

Have you considered Scottish music featuring bagpipes? It gets very loud and the drone of the bagpipes will frighten both quadripedal and bipedal fauna.

Sea shanties may be another win.
I initially loaded up much of the playlists with marching songs of various types, thinking it would work well, but it turns out that my speaker setups generally favor the treble, and the bass is not as strong, so those kind of baritone chanting type songs are not ideal.

I never thought of bagpipes. I didn't know any bagpipe songs.

???

International man (?) of mystery
kiwifarms.net
I never thought of bagpipes. I didn't know any bagpipe songs.
Scotland the Brave:

Black Bear, Scotland the Brave:

Another version:

1 hour long collection:

Highland Laddie:

Bluegrass, being uncool white hillbilly music, will clear the area.

Cripple Creek:

Foggy Mountain Breakdown:

Dueling Banjos:

Dueling Banjos:

The Auctioneer:

Yodeling is good for laughs.

Ginger Piglet

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
As for bagpipes, there's always "Inis Mona" by Eluveitie. It features bagpipes and black metal vocals.

As regards France Gall and the paedo-ish tendency and so forth, may I remind you that this is the era that brought us a Eurovision winner who was 15 years old and had a song called "Non ho l'etá," whose lyrics translated to:

"I'm not old enough.
I'm not old enough, to love you.
I'm not old enough, to go out alone with you."

• Informative
Reactions: millais

millais

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
As for bagpipes, there's always "Inis Mona" by Eluveitie. It features bagpipes and black metal vocals.

As regards France Gall and the paedo-ish tendency and so forth, may I remind you that this is the era that brought us a Eurovision winner who was 15 years old and had a song called "Non ho l'etá," whose lyrics translated to:

"I'm not old enough.
I'm not old enough, to love you.
I'm not old enough, to go out alone with you."
Yes I like Eluveitie and Arkona for leisure listening. But I was thinking to avoid metal on the outdoor broadcast, as I was afraid it would raise a few eyebrows.

So here is some photo and video of the various setups. I doubt it will seem very impressive in the videos, as I don't think that the sound quality on the video is representative of how it is in real life due to the low quality of my mobile phone's microphone/audio pickup and the wind outdoors.
IMG_20200115_142629.jpg

That is the remains of a burned out broadcast unit consisting of a single cheap Bluetooth speaker from Walmart. It was the fifth unit I set up. I think something is wrong with the battery; it doesn't seem to hold any charge, and even though it was plugged directly into power, it would still auto-shutdown after just a few seconds of being turned on.

This is the original, very first broadcast unit that I rigged up from some cheap, donated speakers. The plastic is all yellow from being exposed to the direct sun and elements. Still works great after all this time of blasting away 24/7 for almost 1 year.

You can see there is a band of electrical tape on the cord connecting the two speakers; that is from when one of the hoodlums scaled the 4 meter sheer wall in order to cut the electrical with a razor. He also tried to smash the speaker membranes, but I was able to piece them back together. Also you can see the remains of the rubber bands I originally used to suspend the speakers before realizing that it was better to do everything with steel wire. I taped over the volume and power controls because the wall-climbing hoodlums were fiddling with them before.

This unit is hooked up by AUX cable to an old Windows phone without a SIM card for a media player.

This is the second broadcast unit that I set up, again from another pair of donated speakers. For the longest time, I thought it had been burned out by a power surge, but it was just the MP3 player's volume control that was messed up. Seems to be working alright now that I have fiddled with the MP3 player. I was thinking of loading the massive amounts of France Gall and Connie Francis onto this one.

This is the third broadcast unit I set up, from a very nice $250 Bluetooth speaker that someone gifted to me and I had no leisure use for. This one is hooked up to another old mobile phone by Bluetooth. It's broadcasting from 07h00 to 19h00 on 90% volume, and overnight at 50% volume, to avoid overheating it. If it overheats, it will auto shutdown, which is a pain to reset. This one is covering the last semi-troublesome area, where nogs will occasionally loiter in numbers on the other side of the property boundary where I have no legal right to disperse them. When they congregate outside that area, I will use the mobile phone to bump the volume up to 100% and put a single loud song on loop until they disperse. Before it was 2nd South Carolina String Band's rendition of "Dixie" or a choral version of "Merck toch hoe sterck", then I switched to Jean Jacques Perry's "Marie France", and now it is an annoying children's song called "Platdakhuisie".

I'm not sure if "Platdakhuisie" is especially effective or if I've gradually trained the nogs to react to a Pavlovian response, but now whenever I put that song on loop, it will disperse maybe 5 out of 7 nogs.

This is the fourth broadcast unit I set up. Originally it was just the pair of speakers and subwoofer on top, which I acquired cheap with a coupon, but one of those speakers burned out, so I augmented the setup with the second pair of speakers and subwoofer visible below, which I found in an abandoned storage office. I think this second pair of speakers is also having trouble after blasting 24/7 for so long, as for a while it was making a really loud and sharp rattling sound whenever the subwoofer bass kicked in. I have a feeling that another one of the speakers on it may have burned out too, because it doesn't seem as loud as it definitely used to be. This one is also hooked up to a cheap MP3 player I found lying around.

Last edited:
Tags
None