How To Deal With Earth's Overpopulation Problems ? - Too Many Humans, Not Enough Resources

Webby's Boyfriend

reality cartoonist
kiwifarms.net
We should colonize outer space. With rotating space stations our solar system could support trillions of people and with relativistic ships we could reach other planets in the blink of an eye at least from the passengers' subjective perspective and maybe there's some way for FTL travel.

I'm talking like WW3 happening right now instability.
People say that since decades but nothing has happened so far - gosh, but I wish, because WW3 would be cool, because of the adventure and action.

Your Weird Fetish

Intersectional fetishist
kiwifarms.net
If the world were overpopulated you would see the effects in the markets, and you would see lots of political instability.
"Well the current world is politically unstaba-"
I'm talking like WW3 happening right now instability.
The current world is incredibly stable. To the extent that wars thousands of miles away are actually worthy of headlines instead of just something there's always a few dozen of and it gets ignored because you're at war too.

Plaguemine

All bow to me-me!
kiwifarms.net
So housing shortages in almost every major city don't exist ?
So the roughly 2+ billion people who can not get enough food do not exist ?
So the inadequate infrastructure issues in many countries do not exist ?

You know there is a very large world outside of the gated community you apparently live in ?
I spoiler-ed each point so it wasn't a large wall of text

-housing shortages range from location but in the first world it's because of a few reasons.
Bringing in Alot of third worlders as fast as we are, is not helping. Not their fault but the local governments who refuse to encourage building anything for them but keep welcoming them in.

Not the correct type of affordable housing being built. Young can only afford small houses to start. The old want to downsize. In turn not enough of the correct housing. So your left with expensive mc mansions not one wants nor afford on average.
In places like California and parts of Canada. They have hyper strict building codes. Making it unprofitable to even bother building. This is a big one.

Overpopulation is really not a problem when a new 4bedroom two bath house with a basement and garage can be built in just a few days...it's not that it can't be done as much as its such a restrictive and expensive thin in some areas to get.
Housing associations won't allow new housing.
City halls where groups of people can stop or just deny new buildings in the name of "preserving the towns heritage" just to name a few things.

-Food shortages
Here in the US we pay farmers to not grow. It's to keep prices reasonable and not crash the food market in areas such as soybeans and corn. Also so they don't spoil in storage as too much food can and will spoil with time if it's unable to be preserved like strawberries for example.

With new super crops being made and being made much tougher then the originals. This is becoming less of a problem. Shortages only happen due to poor planing or flooding but we can just trade if we need it.
The USA produces so much we have to export things like corn. We can easily sustain ourself without trade but it would be easier and more cost effective for the US to focus on less crops and livestock and just trade.

-infrastructure
I do not see what this has to do with over population.
If you have a city built and planed for X amount of drivers in 20years, lets say for argument a 10000 cars, and you then import double than what was projected on top of that. Your gonna think it's over population when really it's just in that area as it never added people moving into it at such a rate. So now you have 30000 cars on a 10000car planed area.
Poor explanation I'm sure but I don't know really how to with how making it a wall of text. Also city planing is actually pretty hard stuff.

Also war. War is expensive of coarse our roads are going to suck and less things get built proper. We're busy with paying off for war. At lease in the US I cannot speak for elsewhere. So there's a short point....

It was projected we'd hit peak population and die off a long time ago I think in the 40-60's area.....didn't happen.
People are so sure they will witness doom. Even if it was true. No one has a valid way of stopping it other than killing off one another or limiting breeding. Both of which are dumb unless the whole world is on board.
I also think people panicking over things they can't control means they care when really it's a bit silly.

That's just my thoughts

The best and greatest

kiwifarms.net
Housing shortages are caused by allowing third world scum to come to western countries .

Point is there is no overpopulation in the west ( read white people ),it's the rest of the world that's the problem .
Housing shortages result from a complex layer of interlocking social, economic and political factors. Human migration patterns of course play a role but its deeper than that, for an understanding of how economics can lead to housing shortages you need only look at China's ghost cities.
Housing gets built, but its all wealthy upper-class housing because why build poor people housing when you can develop luxury condos that you can sell at a higher price? Who cares about people actually living in them? Houses and condos are investments, not homes you pleb. This is further inflamed by political pressures to keep housing scarce to keep rent prices high for the landlords and the companies they use to administrate their properties.

• Agree
  • Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Calooby and Vecr

Mad Asshatter

My other name was Maggot
kiwifarms.net
As far as overpopulation goes, realistically controlling it would involve encouraging people to really think about whether or not they really, truely want to have kids. That includes education on the costs, realistic and honest talk on what babies and children are like, what childbirth and breastfeeding are really like, and how to determine whether the desire for a child is real, or if it is just the pressure from family, spouse, or society. Also talk about how a baby won't change a troublesome partner or make them stay (a.k.a the 'glue baby.')

Providing free contraception and sterilization for those adults that want it, no needing to wait until an arbitrary age (like 35) or needing to have a child before it can be done.

Capping welfare benefit increases at two children. This isn't meant to punish the people who get on with 3 or more children but who are done making more, this is actually meant for the people who are determined to be a baby factory to keep the freebees coming.

That is what I can think of for now in regards to that.

However, with the belief that overpopulation isn't 'real,' it's not just sheer numbers. It's also the resources needed to keep up that level of living, and the space needed for it. Land for growing, sufficient water, and the effect it has on other species that are not human. Not only that, but resource recycling is crappy at best, with planned obsolescence and perfectly usable or salvageable items being deemed too inconvenient/expensive to repair, and going in a landfill, requiring us to expand our resource expenditure ever higher.

Last edited:

Deodar

gotcha, crouton
kiwifarms.net
Neuter Indian and hispanic women worldwide so they can stop shitting out 20 babies a second. That should at least slow it down.

• Agree
Reactions: Calooby

Calooby

If only you GNU my pain...
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
We should definitely slow down on the baby making but what we really need to do is work with our existing population and help people with disabilities find jobs that they're able to work so they don't have to depend on welfare and shit. If everyone contributed to society, and we find a way to make NEETs work but also not abuse them, we can find ways to make people more focused on personal growth over reproducing possibly. Give me the optimistic ratings as you please, since these are just my thoughts on the matter.

• Agree
Reactions: Large

GrotesqueBushes

kiwifarms.net
I think the main issue here is that you look at this globally rather than on a per country basis. Developed nations are slowly depopulating (if they're not supplementing their population with immigration), developing countries plateau, while third world nations have a population boom.

As a hypothetical, imagine the States close all borders and over the next 80 years USA population drops to 250 million while keeping relatively healthy demographics. What's the problem? GDP falling? The average citizen doesn't care, and the stock market can go fuck itself.

Then you have starving third world countries which quintupled their population over 80 years - I think the solution is to cut off foreign aid and let them regulate their population to a healthy amount. If Nigeria can support 200 million citizens - great! If not, I can live with that.

The world isn't a unified system, and it never will be, even if there'll be a world government.

• Agree
Reactions: Large

Mad Asshatter

My other name was Maggot
kiwifarms.net
As a hypothetical, imagine the States close all borders and over the next 80 years USA population drops to 250 million while keeping relatively healthy demographics. What's the problem? GDP falling? The average citizen doesn't care, and the stock market can go fuck itself.
You know they would spin it into some sort of doom and gloom scenario, even as quality of life more then likely would go up.

Then you have starving third world countries which quintupled their population over 80 years - I think the solution is to cut off foreign aid and let them regulate their population to a healthy amount. If Nigeria can support 200 million citizens - great! If not, I can live with that.

The world isn't a unified system, and it never will be, even if there'll be a world government.
The 'hidden' issue in some of these places is the pressure to have kids early and often. They marry brides that are often still kids to men older then them, the husbands are controlling and may not allow their wives to get birth control (since it is a measure of 'manliness to have many kids.)

Then you have conservatives in the US trying to limit or eliminate aid for abortions and birth control in these countries that welcome that aid, and you get populations spiraling out of control.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino