Grand Theft Auto - Yep, I've been drinkin' again...

Favorite GTA?

• Grand Theft Auto

Votes: 7 3.0%
  • Grand Theft Auto: London 1969

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Grand Theft Auto 2

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Grand Theft Auto III

Votes: 26 11.3%
  • Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

Votes: 81 35.1%
  • Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

Votes: 93 40.3%
  • Grand Theft Auto: Advanced

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • Grand Theft Auto IV

Votes: 51 22.1%
  • Episodes From Liberty City (The Lost & Damned and The Ballad of Gay Tony)

Votes: 17 7.4%
  • Grand Theft Auto V

Votes: 56 24.2%
  • Grand Theft Auto: Online

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • My Mother's My Sister!

Votes: 28 12.1%

• Total voters

The Last Stand

@Mrs Paul's standing ovation.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
TBF the only depiction of Yusuf Amir in main GTA IV was through dialogue from Playboy "Jesus had John the Baptist killed" X, so that one could be excused.
Playboy X also thought Dubai was in Africa. And that Johnny Klebitz was racist. Never mind he worked with Malc, who was Black and his best friend Clay was Black too.

I found Playboy to be superfluous. Flashy with his ill gotten gains and too ambitious.

John Merston

the return and dislike
kiwifarms.net
One thing I really like about IV is how nuanced it is, compared to nearly every other Rockstar game. RDR2 had rather good character and (sometimes) thematic writing, but fell flat in regards to social and political writing. GTA IV, on the other hand, already starts off with funnier political satire. Then, the main thematic element is definitely the American dream and immigration. You'd expect the story to go full on "America isn't any better than Serbia and Niko is completely innocent", but it instead examines whether Niko contributes to his circumstance in any capacity. He didn't like working at the taxi company at all, and he felt a compulsive need to be violent (a very obvious commentary on the player), so he kept pushing situations further and further past the several points he could have willingly stopped. Then, after the game ends on a rather nasty note and scrutinizes the typical "rise to the top" GTA story, it still heavily implies that Niko can still put this all behind him and accept a decent lot in life. It's shockingly good writing on Rockstar's part, and the only game that comes close is the best parts of Max Payne 3.
GTA IV is literally the opposite of nuanced.

The Last Stand

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
GTA IV is literally the opposite of nuanced.
Slightly disagree.

Yes, GTA IV can be upfront with its satirical humor and social commentary. Although to be fair, a game in that scale that is nothing BUT social commentary is an achievement in and of itself.

But its character and plot progression with its theme is anything but.

Niko is a war criminal. He's been sucked into a war at a very young age in Eastern Europe which he has seen and done horrific things just to survive. His cynicism on The American Dream is highlighted from the dark experiences he has lived through before arriving into Liberty City.

Even better, the characters he encounters from missions and friendships are foils that strengthen his personality and lore. Roman, his cousin, is a contrast from Niko. He boasts about America being "the land of opportunity" but starts off with a gambling addition and a hound attitude with women. Even so, he believes in the American Dream and looks at his situation as a positive, even when Niko's criminal past affects his life later in the game.

I don't want to spoil too much at once, but you'd have to watch GTA IV's plot unwind. It's one of the best written pieces of media ever.

Sithis

kiwifarms.net
I preferred Vice City as a setting, it's just lamentable that the only games based in Vice City are so old that they're hard to go back to and enjoy the gameplay mechanics after experiencing it on the last couple generations of systems. GTA IV, in my opinion, had the strongest plot by far. Niko was a character who drew people to feel empathy for him despite doing virtually nothing to earn it - he just managed to be less shitty than most of the rest of the shitty people he was around. I maintain that the police AI in IV was some of the best of any game that has ever been released, worlds better than the fucking "Oh you touched me time to kill you" LSPD we got in GTA V.
It took me a while to warm up to the plot of GTA V but once you get used to it you appreciate it for what it is - a commentary on the utter hypocrisy and entitled culture that spans generations from boomers all the way into millennials. Michael is a sociopathic prick who fucked over the only people he was ever truly close to so that he could escape with his stripper girlfriend and entitled brats, Trevor thinks he is a one-of-a-kind monster but is actually just another sociopathic narcissist with a victim complex, and Franklin waxes poetic about the hood life despite being so far removed from actual gangbanging lifestyle that he might as well be a CPA. At first presentation it seems like just more of Rockstar's cynical view of the world but as you play more you start to appreciate the reflection of reality that is present.
I also like how GTA V managed to give us a preview of Hillary v. Trump in the form of Sue Murry vs. Jock Cranley, 3 years before that matchup ever became reality.

The Last Stand

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
GTA IV lampooned the American Dream.
GTA V lampooned the American reality.

Something I noticed with GTA IV that many people complained about: money payouts. Specifically, what you could DO with your money.

You can't buy much in GTA IV. Only food, clothing and weapons. Niko is a gunman for hire, but outside of story reasons, what do you really do with the money? You would end up with tens of thousands halfway through the game and nothing meaningful to spend it on.

Money is hollow in GTA IV, which I think strengthens the satire of Liberty City and Niko's personality. Once you get all that money, then what? It's basically just a means of artificial payment that adds nothing to Niko's life other than a means of reward. Money can't buy happiness.

Damn. GTA IV is deeper than I thought.

King Ghidorah

kiwifarms.net
GTA IV lampooned the American Dream.
GTA V lampooned the American reality.

Something I noticed with GTA IV that many people complained about: money payouts. Specifically, what you could DO with your money.

You can't buy much in GTA IV. Only food, clothing and weapons. Niko is a gunman for hire, but outside of story reasons, what do you really do with the money? You would end up with tens of thousands halfway through the game and nothing meaningful to spend it on.

Money is hollow in GTA IV, which I think strengthens the satire of Liberty City and Niko's personality. Once you get all that money, then what? It's basically just a means of artificial payment that adds nothing to Niko's life other than a means of reward. Money can't buy happiness.

Damn. GTA IV is deeper than I thought.
Sure it's Deep but it certainly didn't help make the game feel barren of content

The Last Stand

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Sure it's Deep but it certainly didn't help make the game feel barren of content
Less than than the 3D era, sure. But it has more content than GTA V, not counting its online.

The Vigilante submission was greatly improved from the 3D era. You didn't have to stay in the car to take out preps.

Reactions: Draza

The Last Stand

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Gta 5 has 10 times the side content of gta 4 minimum
And also removed several side activities.

No Vigilante, no Paramedics, no Firefighters, lesser interiors.

At least they added Taxi back. And several San Andreas activities.

They were planning to add safehouse purchases in single player, but they saved it for Online.

King Ghidorah

kiwifarms.net
And also removed several side activities.

No Vigilante, no Paramedics, no Firefighters, lesser interiors.

At least they added Taxi back. And several San Andreas activities.

They were planning to add safehouse purchases in single player, but they saved it for Online.
I know I can't speak for everyone but the vigilante missions were honestly dull as fuck and were kinda replaced by strangers and freaks essentially

Jasonfan89

Ki ki ki ma ma ma
kiwifarms.net
So the op said other games like Saints Row can be discussed here I just gotta say I picked up the remaster of 3 today having only played it years ago at a friends house and I must say. It's actually pretty good for a game that's only been remastered on the surface. Aside an HD upgrade that runs at at a smooth 60fps and some minor alterations to loading screens and having all the dlcs ever released for it built in I gotta say it's a sweet deal but only of you really need it in HD or running at 60fps. Because almost nothing else was changed if you've still got the full package on your ps3 or Xbox I say skip it until it goes on sale.

Though frankly I'm impressed they kept the adult swim radio in the game. You'd think k either the licensing rights would expire or they wouldn't renew the rights to use an IP like that... Shame nothing was altered. That station could have benefited with the Mr pickles theme or being hosted by Rick Sanchez as opposed to the guy from deloacated

Editsorry to sperg I'll try and be brief. One other thing I noticed it the graphics now have way more vibrant colors. Like maybe it's just my eyesight or the TV but on the ps3 the colors always looked flat and dull and I barley noticed a difference between being and dark purple and black. Now neon colors especially on the decker gangs and vehicle underglows really pop and stand out. And I CAN tell and see a difference between the colors dark shade and light shades

Last edited:
Reactions: The Last Stand

Cod of War

kiwifarms.net
So the op said other games like Saints Row can be discussed here I just gotta say I picked up the remaster of 3 today having only played it years ago at a friends house and I must say. It's actually pretty good for a game that's only been remastered on the surface. Aside an HD upgrade that runs at at a smooth 60fps and some minor alterations to loading screens and having all the dlcs ever released for it built in I gotta say it's a sweet deal but only of you really need it in HD or running at 60fps. Because almost nothing else was changed if you've still got the full package on your ps3 or Xbox I say skip it until it goes on sale.

Though frankly I'm impressed they kept the adult swim radio in the game. You'd think k either the licensing rights would expire or they wouldn't renew the rights to use an IP like that... Shame nothing was altered. That station could have benefited with the Mr pickles theme or being hosted by Rick Sanchez as opposed to the guy from deloacated

Editsorry to sperg I'll try and be brief. One other thing I noticed it the graphics now have way more vibrant colors. Like maybe it's just my eyesight or the TV but on the ps3 the colors always looked flat and dull and I barley noticed a difference between being and dark purple and black. Now neon colors especially on the decker gangs and vehicle underglows really pop and stand out. And I CAN tell and see a difference between the colors dark shade and light shades
Can you still cheese it using the Rim Jobs exploit on a tank?

The Last Stand

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I know I can't speak for everyone but the vigilante missions were honestly dull as fuck and were kinda replaced by strangers and freaks essentially
On the topic of "GTA clone" and Vigilante, there's one game that stands out to me.

66493-True_Crime_Streets_of_LA-1455723691.jpg

True Crime: Streets of LA came out on PlayStation 2, Xbox, GameCube and PC in 2003. It's an open world game just like GTA, but the roles have swapped. Instead of playing as as criminal, you're a cop.

I don't remember the plot too much; all I remember is you play as an Asian-American cop named Nick Kang in Los Angeles. Go to Wikipedia if you're interested in that.

What I DO remember is the city, the gameplay and the soundtrack.

The game recreates 240 sq. miles of Los Angeles (400 but that was changed in development) right down to the street layout and popular LA landmarks.

As in GTA, you do missions in that open world and can commander vehicles at will. The key difference is that in said open world, you're a cop so you can get dispatch missions to stop criminals. Imagine the Vigilante side mission but expanded. There can be small crimes like muggings or street fights to bigger endeavors like shootouts and car chases.

You have auto aim and precision aiming, which plays into the cop gameplay. You can disarm and use non-neutralizing shots with precision aim. These would give you "Good Cop" points. But just go in guns blazing with non-lethal enemies or kill civilians, you get "Bad Cop" points.

"Good Cop" points can be used to buy fighting moves and progress further into the story with alternate endings. "Bad Cop" points will have civilians react negatively to you, lock out fighting moves and again, provide an alternative ending to the game. Very dynamic system.

The soundtrack is mainly West Coast music. Mostly rap, but you have some rock and funk sprinkled in. There's no radio stations, it's more like a MP3 player set up. You can customize what songs play in the Options menu. Here's the soundtrack on Youtube.

It's not perfect; the graphics aren't as sharp as GTA, the plot and protagonist is forgettable, and the song will stop if you leave the car. But in all respects, it's an ambitious, and respectful twist to the GTA formula.

Guts Gets Some

Don't lose your way
kiwifarms.net
On the topic of "GTA clone" and Vigilante, there's one game that stands out to me.

View attachment 1317705

True Crime: Streets of LA came out on PlayStation 2, Xbox, GameCube and PC in 2003. It's an open world game just like GTA, but the roles have swapped. Instead of playing as as criminal, you're a cop.

I don't remember the plot too much; all I remember is you play as an Asian-American cop named Nick Kang in Los Angeles. Go to Wikipedia if you're interested in that.

What I DO remember is the city, the gameplay and the soundtrack.

The game recreates 240 sq. miles of Los Angeles (400 but that was changed in development) right down to the street layout and popular LA landmarks.

As in GTA, you do missions in that open world and can commander vehicles at will. The key difference is that in said open world, you're a cop so you can get dispatch missions to stop criminals. Imagine the Vigilante side mission but expanded. There can be small crimes like muggings or street fights to bigger endeavors like shootouts and car chases.

You have auto aim and precision aiming, which plays into the cop gameplay. You can disarm and use non-neutralizing shots with precision aim. These would give you "Good Cop" points. But just go in guns blazing with non-lethal enemies or kill civilians, you get "Bad Cop" points.

"Good Cop" points can be used to buy fighting moves and progress further into the story with alternate endings. "Bad Cop" points will have civilians react negatively to you, lock out fighting moves and again, provide an alternative ending to the game. Very dynamic system.

The soundtrack is mainly West Coast music. Mostly rap, but you have some rock and funk sprinkled in. There's no radio stations, it's more like a MP3 player set up. You can customize what songs play in the Options menu. Here's the soundtrack on Youtube.

It's not perfect; the graphics aren't as sharp as GTA, the plot and protagonist is forgettable, and the song will stop if you leave the car. But in all respects, it's an ambitious, and respectful twist to the GTA formula.
Sounds like Sleeping Dogs borrowed a lot from it. But I'll definitely look into it more and check it out if I can. I always like games like this.

Reactions: The Last Stand
Tags
None