Ethics and Plausability of Underwater Hamster Enclosure / Hamture - ... I chose Hamture

Valiant

Salty Space Bitch
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net

Is this the work of a mad man? How long til Hamture falls?

Begining of Hamture was in 2010
. This guy has been working on Hamture for seven years. He hasn't gotten much attention for it though, apparently only two of his hamsters died, two by old age and another when he ate his sibling.

Recently he's gotten a huge algae problem and apparently these Hamsters are solitary.

Jaimas

Bold Words For Someone In "Ara Ara" Range
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Is this the work of a mad man? How long til Hamture falls?

Begining of Hamture was in 2010
. This guy has been working on Hamture for seven years. He hasn't gotten much attention for it though, apparently only two of his hamsters died, two by old age and another when he ate his sibling.

Recently he's gotten a huge algae problem and apparently these Hamsters are solitary.
Is a hamster not entitled to the dirt of his burrow?

"No," says some random asshat, "it belongs to the internet."

melty

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Q: Seriously, what is the point of all this?
A: I'm interested in all sorts of things. Space travel, robots, outposts in harsh climes, the triumph of human ingenuity which makes it possible for mankind to live comfortably in places nature never intended, like Florida. The best way to learn is to do, so when I want to learn about robots I build robots, when I want to learn about rockets I build rockets, and when I want to build an underwater habitat for a dwarf hamster I get a refill on my antipsychotics but ultimately build it anyway because the annukai reptilian shapeshifters driving my body around like a meat robot always get their way.

So I'm going to build it. Because it's interesting, and a challenge. Because I want to learn firsthand what is involved in designing and constructing a complete underwater habitat capable of sustaining complex organisms. It's a weird hobby but some of my friends crochet so I'm in the clear.
I like him.

Dysnomia

Absolutely AFABulous
kiwifarms.net
Judging by videos that type of enclosure is too small for hamsters. It's not really fair to put them in such a small tub. The only types you can house in pairs safely are dwarf hamsters. And they need to be from the same litter and raised together for maximum safety. Even then they may fight. Especially males, which I have had to separate despite being brothers and having adequate space. The smaller the space the worse the fighting will be. I had better luck with mother and daughter. And even then they barely interacted and stole food from each other. If one hamster ate another is that the point where he separated them? I can't tell if they are Syrian or dwarf. They look Syrian. I've had both and dwarf hamsters are far superior in every way.

Hamsters are very sensitive to moisture because their natural habitat is dry parts on the Middle East. I'd be worried about condensation causing pneumonia. That will kill a hamster very quickly. It looks like he switches them out regularly though. I'd still recommend a better enclosure. But maybe the size has something to do with manageability. At least they are not housed in pairs. Because the small space would become the hamster version of Thunderdome very quickly.

Judging by videos that type of enclosure is too small for hamsters. It's not really fair to put them in such a small tub. The only types you can house in pairs safely are dwarf hamsters. And they need to be from the same litter and raised together for maximum safety. Even then they may fight. Especially males, which I have had to separate despite being brothers and having adequate space. The smaller the space the worse the fighting will be. I had better luck with mother and daughter. And even then they barely interacted and stole food from each other. If one hamster ate another is that the point where he separated them? I can't tell if they are Syrian or dwarf. They look Syrian. I've had both and dwarf hamsters are far superior in every way.

Hamsters are very sensitive to moisture because their natural habitat is dry parts on the Middle East. I'd be worried about condensation causing pneumonia. That will kill a hamster very quickly. It looks like he switches them out regularly though. I'd still recommend a better enclosure. But maybe the size has something to do with manageability. At least they are not housed in pairs. Because the small space would become the hamster version of Thunderdome very quickly.
It's a neat experiment, but I agree he shouldn't put them in for long periods of time. At least not until he has refined and retested it at least a few times and developed more spacious enclosures.

• Agree
Reactions: Bum Driller
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino