Does anyone else genuinely miss the 2000s? -

Reynard

Vixen on the Edge
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
No decades are perfect, but it seemed like a simpler time. Of course I probably think that because I was a kid at the time. The 2000s were basically the leftovers of the 90s, and it wasn’t bad. Sure, the radiCOOL Xtreme bullshit wasn’t gone and in fact got even more intense, but I kind of like that stuff in that sort of ironic sense. I might be biased though, as I was a wee lad/lass back in those days and what I remember the most were the visual styles of what I mentioned before and childhood innocence that I often wish I can return to instead of being my jaded modern self. Seeing as I grew up then nostalgia bias is there, but as we all know, nostalgia is never honest. You had 9/11 and the various government attempts to control and restrict the public that followed soon after, the Second Iraq War that saw people sent to destabilize a nation based on a lie while sacrificing various soldiers that should have been fighting elsewhere, and so on. Do I miss it? Yeah, I do. Was it as good as I remember? Hell no.

Mostly what I want back are the dark, gritty, and edgy visuals popular at the time and that childhood innocence, but I can’t really have both because they sort of go against each other. I’ll take the dark and gritty visual flair that everything had if I had to I l one, though since it’s one of those visual styles I’ve always liked thanks to growing up with them. Even if I didn’t, it’s so much more interesting than the lifeless and sterile minimalist crap and overly pastel bullshit that’s popular today.

This is excluding memories of family, of course. We all have great memories of family from when we were kids that aren’t specific to any decade, so it’s obvious that that should come with it all.

Freya

i wanna go where the down boys go
kiwifarms.net
no. the 2000s were trash. the only good things were that you could still interact with people without them being braindead phone zombies and the cars weren't bloated monstrosities with horrible visibility that constantly tracked you.

of course they say this is for "safety", but there's nothing keeping Karen from killing me with her Chevy Suburban. for some reason, every house mommy needs a massive SUV now.
1542602209499.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: Crichax

saisegeha

motel money buffet madness
kiwifarms.net
No decades are perfect, but it seemed like a simpler time. Of course I probably think that because I was a kid at the time. The 2000s were basically the leftovers of the 90s, and it wasn’t bad. Sure, the radiCOOL Xtreme bullshit wasn’t gone and in fact got even more intense, but I kind of like that stuff in that sort of ironic sense. I might be biased though, as I was a wee lad/lass back in those days and what I remember the most were the visual styles of what I mentioned before and childhood innocence that I often wish I can return to instead of being my jaded modern self. Seeing as I grew up then nostalgia bias is there, but as we all know, nostalgia is never honest. You had 9/11 and the various government attempts to control and restrict the public that followed soon after, the Second Iraq War that saw people sent to destabilize a nation based on a lie while sacrificing various soldiers that should have been fighting elsewhere, and so on. Do I miss it? Yeah, I do. Was it as good as I remember? Hell no.

Mostly what I want back are the dark, gritty, and edgy visuals popular at the time and that childhood innocence, but I can’t really have both because they sort of go against each other. I’ll take the dark and gritty visual flair that everything had if I had to I l one, though since it’s one of those visual styles I’ve always liked thanks to growing up with them. Even if I didn’t, it’s so much more interesting than the lifeless and sterile minimalist crap and overly pastel bullshit that’s popular today.

This is excluding memories of family, of course. We all have great memories of family from when we were kids that aren’t specific to any decade, so it’s obvious that that should come with it all.
I think you described it perfectly.
For whatever reason even the "good times" back then felt better than the good times we may have now with friends or whatever. I think secretly we all just want to go back to being a child/teen again without much to worry about.

Reynard

Vixen on the Edge
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
no. the 2000s were trash. the only good things were that you could still interact with people without them being braindead phone zombies and the cars weren't bloated monstrosities with horrible visibility that constantly tracked you.

of course they say this is for "safety", but there's nothing keeping Karen from killing me with her Chevy Suburban. for some reason, every house mommy needs a massive SUV now.
View attachment 909166
Remember when your mother had a minivan instead of an SUV? Back in my day that’s all we needed for kids and groceries! New moms and their fancy shmancy SUVs. SUVs are dad cars!

I think you described it perfectly.
For whatever reason even the "good times" back then felt better than the good times we may have now with friends or whatever. I think secretly we all just want to go back to being a child/teen again without much to worry about.
There’s just an appeal to the innocence and nativity. Some people take that desire to go back too far and end up as adult babies or get into ageplay, but I think deep down most of us want to relive our childhoods because the appeal of not having to worry about anything other than maybe a playground bully and if mom packed the right juice box in your lunch is pretty universal.

That doesn’t go for people with abusive childhoods, of course. I don’t think any of them should want to relive that.

Never Scored

kiwifarms.net
I really miss the period from around 1995 up until the great recession.

I was born in the early 1980s, so I can recall the tail end of the 80s the early 90s and they felt very corporate and squeaky clean too. Just replace SJW shit with Maude Flanders and Hellen Lovejoy from the Simpsons. Instead of a danger hairs complaining about a lack of people of color, women and trans people in video games you had these church ladies complaining about violence and nudity in movies. Corperations bent the knee to them just like they bend the knee to today's SJWs. I feel like the Simpsons and Beavis and Butthead paved the the way for this irreverent, nihilistic culture that came in the late 90s and early 2000s and the early internet was drenched in that shit (Or maybe they grew out of it and they were just the first time I noticed it). You can say 9/11 changed things, but the reality is pop culture and especially internet culture was so nihilistic people were shit posting memes about 9/11 the next day. That's what I miss. Imagine someone making something like this...

hulkster.jpg

...for the Christchurch Shooting today. You'd get permabanned from everything and possibly lose your job.

I think that people who started or were in college around the great recession got caught in the crosshairs of rising student debt, the social activism of the occupy movement and a changing economy and got all fucked up. Now they're saddled with these huge loans and they're underemployed so don't have much money, they have a lot of time on their hands and they got involved in social activism during occupy. Then you end up with the SJW shit. I think you're going to see a turnaround in the 2020s where the SJW stuff reaches the point of parody just like the church ladies in the 90s and pop culture will produce SJW versions of Kyle's mom and Hellen Lovejoy and start freely taking potshots at it.

Pitere pit

Do you like my car?
kiwifarms.net
I was a kid and a pre-teen in the 2000s. Most that I can remember is that people told what they have in their minds and some wealth until the economic depression. I even miss the earliest 2010s, as we at least cared about important issues.
During the oughties my country was in a boom, like the roaring 20s in America, everyone could be someone involved with construction and get paid 2000 euros per month, which was sweet money at the time, but the housing prices were terrifying. Freedom of speech was good despite having a prime minister who was like Justin Trudeau. When the depression came, everyone was scared, but with our voice we protested every week demanding the end of austerity, the 15-M was our biggest moment. Whenever I came to an hospital, there was propaganda to fight against the end of our public healthcare, in television there were shows who criticized the government and were the nightmare of modern SJWs.
In the late oughties we were kinda united, at least in my neighbourhood. Someone who had connections to a job would tell it to some parent who need it in order to feed their kids, the Church was pretty active at these times, they were glad to help at anyone, no matter what they believed. Grandparents were glad to house their entire family in their tiny houses and help their kids.
But the late 2010s came and everything was fucked up.
Not only our economy was broken, despite the lower unemployment numbers and our GDP growth, but our society. Maybe it was the access to Internet that broke us, right now we have an independence process on a region, that in the best case would be ruled by someone like ADF, people are getting more divided, right wing and the left are both guilty of it.
Our unity saved us at our worst, but another depression is coming, and I don't know if there will be the same unity as the last crisis.

Reynard

Vixen on the Edge
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

I was born in the early 1980s, so I can recall the tail end of the 80s the early 90s and they felt very corporate and squeaky clean too. Just replace SJW shit with Maude Flanders and Hellen Lovejoy from the Simpsons. Instead of a danger hairs complaining about a lack of people of color, women and trans people in video games you had these church ladies complaining about violence and nudity in movies. Corperations bent the knee to them just like they bend the knee to today's SJWs. I feel like the Simpsons and Beavis and Butthead paved the the way for this irreverent, nihilistic culture that came in the late 90s and early 2000s and the early internet was drenched in that shit (Or maybe they grew out of it and they were just the first time I noticed it). You can say 9/11 changed things, but the reality is pop culture and especially internet culture was so nihilistic people were shit posting memes about 9/11 the next day. That's what I miss. Imagine someone making something like this...

View attachment 909327

...for the Christchurch Shooting today. You'd get permabanned from everything and possibly lose your job.

I think that people who started or were in college around the great recession got caught in the crosshairs of rising student debt, the social activism of the occupy movement and a changing economy and got all fucked up. Now they're saddled with these huge loans and they're underemployed so don't have much money, they have a lot of time on their hands and they got involved in social activism during occupy. Then you end up with the SJW shit. I think you're going to see a turnaround in the 2020s where the SJW stuff reaches the point of parody just like the church ladies in the 90s and pop culture will produce SJW versions of Kyle's mom and Hellen Lovejoy and start freely taking potshots at it.
This. I wasn’t an adult during that time, but a lot of people don’t seem to realize that shit comes in waves of an endless cycle. People try to control others using different reasons to justify it and they come and go, but their ideas always live on and get used by the people who were against them. I’d still argue that shit wasn’t good in the period you idolized, at least politically, but it seemed that people had that chaos never dies and challenge everything (not the EA Games way) mentality. That’s not the general populace, but it seemed to be more common from what I’ve seen and heard.

Dom Cruise

too... many... books...
kiwifarms.net

View attachment 909327

It's weird how these moral panics in America come and go like that, from periods of things being very "anything goes" (the 70s, the late 90s and early 2000s) to periods of moral panic and wanting to censor everything (the 80s and early 90s, the 2010s)

Mostly what I want back are the dark, gritty, and edgy visuals popular at the time
I think I know what you're talking about, are you talking about the sort of thing that was very personified by the anime/manga Death Note? The whole Hot Topic goth/emo aesthetic? I miss that as well.

lurk_moar

Wears a lab coat but curses like a sailor.
kiwifarms.net
The 2000’s made me dream of the future. I felt so hopeful.

Now. Yeah, I can receive texts, calls, emails, check the weather, track my heart rate and sleep, log my workout, and even more on this nifty fashionable watch. Also check out this ultra waterproof book that I can take my library anywhere and not feel ashamed that this has been my 36th book that takes place in Medieval China. Last but not least check out this wireless, waterproof speaker.

Me: The future that I dreamt as a teen is boring and somewhat disappointing. I can’t wait to see the future...er I mean technologic dystopia as a middle aged or old lady.

I am still waiting to witness a manned moon landing and the first human visiting Mars. Forget underwater cities or space colonies.

As a teen, there was good anime and documentaries on TV to watch. Now I may watch a full 24 hours of TV programming in two years on my iPad not counting YouTube videos. It’s either I am picky AF or everything sucks. Also, I do the exact same things online as a teen with slow internet that I do now with high speed wi-fi.

The 2000’s felt very hopeful, but I was a stupid, dreamy teen back then. Times were better too. This decade feels disjointed, gloomy, and dystopian.

awoo

Awoo Supremacist
kiwifarms.net
When I look back on the 2010s I mostly just see things getting... stupider. More corporate, more over produced, bigger, louder, dumber, glossier, flashier. Not that we haven't had that in every decade, but it seems especially bad now. People are more creative and have more platforms to showcase their creativity, but you also get idiots posting every detail of their shitty lives and turning into lolcows overnight. Everything is so much faster, louder and more disposable.
Brave New World style - cliche to quote it but I love the strange retro-futurism vibes the book has. I read it several times when I was younger and understood a lot less, and I'll reread it more in the future.

Reynard

Vixen on the Edge
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think I know what you're talking about, are you talking about the sort of thing that was very personified by the anime/manga Death Note? The whole Hot Topic goth/emo aesthetic? I miss that as well.
Not really that. I mean the sort of visuals you saw in games like Manhunt, SWAT 4, and so on. Shit seemed like that nihilistic and bleak outlook of the world was portrayed in a lot of the art and entertainment that was really good. Of course it also seeped into the stuff that was bad, but I’d rather remember the good.

• Winner
Reactions: Syaoran Li

eternal dog mongler

kiwifarms.net
No decades are perfect, but it seemed like a simpler time. Of course I probably think that because I was a kid at the time.
You've hit upon the secret. I grew up in the 80s and I think the 80s were awesome. 2000s not so much.

What happens is that you grow up and then your idyllic carefree childhood ends. And then you turn into a grumpy adult who hates the world.

Shadfan666xxx000

kiwifarms.net
You've hit upon the secret. I grew up in the 80s and I think the 80s were awesome. 2000s not so much.

What happens is that you grow up and then your idyllic carefree childhood ends. And then you turn into a grumpy adult who hates the world.
Or you can grow up and learn to love it in a new way. It's not like we weren't miserable and bored teenagers.

PsychoNerd054

Green people are so sexy!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
TBH, I never really experienced the 2000's all that much, seeing as how I was born in the late 1990's. The most I can remember of it were primarily from the mid to late 2000's. I personally don't agree that much that the entire 2000's decade felt like leftovers from the 90's though. The early 2000's, for absolute certain. Most of the stuff from the early 2000's feels a bit like the stuff that never make it to 1995-1999. (To me, the 1990's didn't officially happen until like 1994)

When you really think about it though, that era along with the early 2010's also had extremist Christians (Westboro Baptist Church, Jesus Camp, etc.), whose ideals of getting their message across and behaviors somewhat of mirrored those of the SJW's, being readily offended at whatever appeared on TV at the time.

• Feels
Reactions: Syaoran Li

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
When you really think about it though, that era also had extremist Christians (Westboro Baptist Church, Jesus Camp, etc.), whose ideals and behaviors somewhat of mirrored those of the SJW's.
Ironically, some of the very people who mocked those people for their idiocy, their shitty, evil behavior and their hypocrisy went on to be even worse than the fundies and, bafflingly, not just even worse in general, but worse in the same exact ways fundies are shit.

PsychoNerd054

Green people are so sexy!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Ironically, some of the very people who mocked those people for their idiocy, their shitty, evil behavior and their hypocrisy went on to be even worse than the fundies and, bafflingly, not just even worse in general, but worse in the same exact ways fundies are shit.
I'd probably blame that on the rise of the internet. It has become such the norm to overreact to things these days that nobody can tell the difference between screeching out loud over a topic and debating it. But then again, I wouldn't really say they were any better, even back then. In the 2000's you still had your pseudo-intellectual retards that had some strange obsession with high school level physics trying to disprove religion as a whole. You basically had your Amazing Atheists and your Thunderf00ts.

Dom Cruise

too... many... books...
kiwifarms.net
I really can't emphasize enough how shocking it is that left wing fundies became a thing, I never in a million years would have predicted that, it would have sounded like an impossible oxymoron.

Not really that. I mean the sort of visuals you saw in games like Manhunt, SWAT 4, and so on. Shit seemed like that nihilistic and bleak outlook of the world was portrayed in a lot of the art and entertainment that was really good. Of course it also seeped into the stuff that was bad, but I’d rather remember the good.
Like Condemned: Criminal Origins? I see what you mean and yeah, I miss that too.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino