Decent+cheap webcams? -

Puddleduck

kiwifarms.net
I'm in isolation and thought it might be fun to stream on Twitch or something. My current webcam is cheap af and makes me look like a ghoul - I'm a bit slim and have dark around the eyes, and IRL and decent cameras I just look like I need a few cheeseburgers and more sleep lol, but my webcam just makes it 1000x worse xD

Don't wanna spend more'n like $50....

Reactions: Dick Pooman

Tryphaena

You too can find an axe and grind it
kiwifarms.net
Get you a Logitech webcam. They're pretty cheap, have good quality picture, and they last fucking forever. They also usually come with a program that lets you tweak how the picture comes out. So do like all the other uggos and up the brightness and contrast so high that you look like a featureless anime character. All eyes and mouth.

sasazuka

Standing in the school hallway.
kiwifarms.net
I'd tell you to go to the place I always go when I need cheap electronics, the thrift store, but then I remembered that they're all closed right now.

Webcams, very often new in box, are very common items at thrift stores from people who bought them thinking they'd stream themselves on Twitch or whatnot but then lost interest.

sasazuka

Standing in the school hallway.
kiwifarms.net
If the problem is how you look on the webcam, rather than getting a new webcam you could always just switch up the lighting in your streaming location, perhaps with a desk lamp. If you'd rather not shine a desk lamp directly on to your face, you could use a white board, a sheet, or even the wall as a reflector for indirect lighting.

Reactions: Puddleduck

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't know your exact boggle hardwarewise but I suspect you'll get more out of fifty bucks spend on lights and matte foundation powder

CIA Nigger

"IT'S NOT A FETISH MOM"
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I just looked up webcam prices and honestly this is worth talking about because there are people who need them much more than Twitch streamers right now. They are literally sold out on online/retail stores and places like eBay are price gouging the shit out of them.

For a low amount of money you can get something like an olderish Logitech QuickCam or similar. Chances are they'll be an older model on eBay since webcams are the tech version of toilet paper and hand sanitizer right now, so you'll have better luck using them on Linux probably. Be very careful about older models because many of them used proprietary drivers instead of generic USB drivers so google the model number first to see how many people complain it doesn't work.

There's also the infamous PlayStation Eye but you'll want a fair amount of light to properly use it. The CL-EYE driver (the driver is on archive.org) works on Windows kinda but those webcams work vastly better on Linux. You also don't want to use them without much light or your video feed will get grainy in the exact same manner as a typical CWC video did. They're also around $5 or so right now even amidst the webcam buying spree.

Chinese no-name webcams are always going to have drivers as they use the ones with your OS similar to newer webcams, but they are very hit or miss. Some are acceptable quality wise, while others are total garbage.

If you have a laptop with a webcam, just stick with it. The quality is good enough for any Zoom/Skype/Discord call.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
If you look like a corpse in a morgue lit by fluorescent lights there's probably a color temperature slider in OBS to crank up.

Alternatively the pale and close to death look will be so hot this summer so you can get in on the ground floor and play mortuary and cemetery themed games.

Tags
None